Stuff I learned from the Dalai Lama (I took notes):
- Compassion and concern for others is biological.
- Through deliberate cognitive training, we can change our brain activity to cultivate inner peace.
- A balanced mind = a balanced body.
- Hopelessness, fear, anger, hatred = destroyers of calm mind and inner peace.
- Destroy the destroyers with noble emotions to develop compassion and genuine concern for others.
- Be compassionate to even those that treat you negatively. It’s good for you.
- Inner peace leads to justice. Emotional unrest causes injustice.
- Material values are teasers and a distraction.
- Modern education and technology promote materialism. We should be more focused on ethics, morals and tolerance.
We all kind of know the above information, but it makes more of an impact coming straight from the source. You guys, the Dalai Lama is wise and funny. Who knew he had a sense of humor? I need to take up yoga again immediately. And also train my brain to be compassionate to the people who have hurt me. New goals!